Thursday, November 10, 2005

In Honour of Rosa Parks: I will stand up for what I believe in (press)

So this is my response to La Maestra's Prompt in honour of Rosa Parks. That was definetly a challenge, but it was fun. I also kind of incorporated my personal reaction to tolerance day into the poem, but it's probably not that evident.

In Honour of Rosa Parks: I will stand up for what I believe in

How is it possible
to deny love
something which we hold so dear
designated
as hard to find
once in a lifetime
how can one be defending
something so precious
by destroying its very core
using something so cruel
as hate and discrimination
to protect something
so sacred
something that must be cherished
they make people
human biengs
feel ashamed to be themselves
hold back their opinions
opinions that could form
and water the seed not of anger
but of hope
love, acceptance
beyond tolerance
past preconceptions
maybe
if they were given a chance
a chance to use their minds
to live the lives they want
and be equal to anyone else
to live the american dream
I would live
somewhere I could
be proud of.

No comments: